BallisticBacon If there are player-owned servers, local points should not be phased out. Competition between players on a global scale is in the thousands, so new (and committed) people aren't able to see much beyond how many points they obtained. Local points gives them a reason to stay on a server for more than ping reasons and work towards a goal. I don't really care about making the ranks system the same as what I proposed above, maybe giving server owners a great ability to tune their systems can be good.
It's probably a good idea to make local rank a "lite" version of global rank and give them local-exclusive name tags as a reward.
For straight jumps small offsets it is feasible, but it starts to fall apart when a drop starts getting very long (eg. some people can spam 280s but can be really bad at drop because their strafes slowly fall apart after a while). Once it gets to more sophisticated jumps (eg. boxtechs, things that aren't even jumps like surfs) it becomes really hard (if not unfeasible) to robustly define a measurement system. The best way to measure difficulties that I can think of is using jumps in existing maps as a reference point for each tier (eg. "this jump is similar on that other jump in map X, and since it's a tier 3 map and this jump is way harder it must be at least tier 4").
BallisticBacon I can see removing Our Father tech as something people want.
Interestingly, some people think Our Father tech is THE best feature of KZT (though I don't get it tbh). It is possible to remove the whole "wiggling to gain speed" without removing prekeep along with that though, so that wouldn't be too bad.
DanZay Pro Run Culture
Maybe only PRO runs should be ranked. At most TP runs could award flat points but to be rewarded for your rank, or given a rank at all, it should be PRO only.
I think the PRO run culture is a weird one, because speedrunning culture was always around the Any% category (which involves save/load whenever it's necessary). I am aware that it is always like that for surf, though it could be argued that save/loading on surf will make everything ridiculously way too easy if it is allowed, which isn't necessarily the case for KZ.
DanZay Permanent bans might be replaced with a temporary ban but a permanent mark on their profile that may be disputed if they really, really care. Less ban appeal effort.
I hate permament bans, so this is a +1 for me. Bans should always be temporary with increasing duration for repeat offences, and undisputed bans should resolve in invalidation of previous runs.
DanZay Ranked map pool might be determined by community survey or statistics instead of very time consuming opinion forming. Less map approval team effort.
I think maps can be ranked without direct team approval if it is not rejected and has a significant enough amount of completion (eg. 2 completions for death tier, 100 for very easy,...)
Also I have some visions for the new API:
- You can no longer create infinite global private servers for free (though the first one is free). Public servers are always free though.
- 2nd private server costs $5/year.
- For $25/year you can create 10 private servers.
- Private servers must be password protected to allow players to filter out public/private servers in the server browser.
- Locally hosted servers are allowed but they must have 99% uptime over 90 days.
- If a global database exists then might as well incorporate surf and bhop. It's time to take over.
- Subscription for supporter for minor perks. The money goes straight to keep the database running. 2 tiers of supporters, let's just call it tier 1 and 2 right now.
- T1: $3/month
- Custom name tag
- Access to previous PB replays
- Friends and country leaderboard (not a big fan of this one tbh)
- 1 more private server (to a total of 2)
- T2 $10/month
- Everything from T1
- Even more custom name tags
- Ability to save all replays and not just PBs
- 2 more private servers (to a total of 4)
- Dev server access